Here you will find a wealth of information relating to The Masonic Hall in Long Eaton, and a little about the town and local facilities.
- Long Eaton Masonic Hall
- A Community Venue
- Getting there
- Petrol stations
- Banking services
- Local accommodation
- Long Eaton
The Masonic Hall is located at:
Long Eaton Masonic Hall,
Long Eaton. NG10 4LR
Masonic use focuses on seven Lodges that meet here:
- Mundy Grove Lodge № 506
- Fairfield Lodge № 2224
- Harrington Lodge № 5098
- Dale Abbey Lodge № 5603
- Cantelupe Lodge № 8247
- Fons Vitae Lodge № 8744
- Erewash Lodge № 9376
The Masonic Hall, known locally as Cleve Lodge is not only used regularly as a meeting place for Freemasons, but may be hired for a wide range of uses by business and the general public (if you wish to find out more or indeed utilise the building just click on its picture above).
Being situated on the A6005, Long Eaton can be approached by road, travelling along Derby Road Easterly from Derby or Westerly from Nottingham. Opposite Christ Church is the entrance to Elm Avenue. Cleve Lodge is situated behind a high wall through an impressive wrought iron gate a hundred yards or so South down Elm Avenue. For information on parking please click on the picture to the left.
Elm Avenue being no through road can only be approached from Derby Road. It is often lined by parked vehicles on both sides of the road, so be prepared to give way and wait. If you have a SatNav, please enter these coordinates: 52.900507, -1.281182 for a true location.
Long Eaton railway station is on the London to Derby line. Full timetable, prices and tickets can be obtained from National Rail Enquiries. Cleve Lodge is about one and three quarter miles away and can be reached by turning left out of the station car park, left up Willsthorpe Road to the A6005 roundabout, turn right down Derby Road and then sixth right after about half a mile down Elm Avenue.
LE Taxi’s: 0115 916 4444
KC Central Taxis: 0115 946 4161
Market Taxis: 0115 972 7700
Erewash Taxis: 0115 946 4440
Double Seven Taxis: 0115 946 4677
Cleve Lodge has parking for over a hundred vehicles on a substantial private free car park.
Asda and Tesco supermarkets have fuel stations located either side of the A6005. Heading about half a mile West towards Nottingham from Elm Avenue there is small roundabout, giving access to Trent Street (for Asda) and Waverley Street (for Tesco).
There are numerous banks on Market Place with cashpoint machines towards Nottingham (half a mile along the A6005), turning South down the B6540 at the large roundabout:
- Lloyds TSB
Tesco and Asda also have cashpoint machines.
The details below are only based on an internet search to save you a little time. This is not an exhaustive listing and of course, both details and ‘quality’ may vary. These are not recommended as such, or have been evaluated. If, however you feel one or more of these entries should be removed, the details edited, or you have additional suggestions please let us know.
Novotel, Bostock’s Lane, Long Eaton. NG10 4EP. 01159 465 111
Europa Hotel, 20-22 Derby Road, Long Eaton. NG10 1LW. 01159 728 481
Best Western, Bostock’s Lane, Long Eaton. NG10 5NL. 0844 387 6305
Holiday Inn, Bostock’s Lane, Long Eaton. NG10 5NJ. 0871 429062
Beaches Guest House, 16, Main Street, Long Eaton. NG10 1GR. 01159 727 778
Lawson Lodge, 1, Lawson Avenue, Long Eaton. NG10 1BN. 01159 727 621
Camping & Caravaning
Long Eaton, situated 8 miles east of Derby, has a history that goes back earlier than the 7th century. It lies close to the River Trent and borders Nottinghamshire, but is actually situated in the County of Derbyshire. Most residences however have a Nottingham address with the Nottingham postcode prefix NG, and use the Nottingham telephone area code 0115.
It is a common misconception that Long Eaton is part of Nottinghamshire. The reason for the NG prefix in the postal code is that all mail for Long Eaton first goes to the Royal Mail’s Nottingham sorting office in Beeston, and then to Long Eaton’s delivery office on Tamworth Road.
Long Eaton is referred to as Aitone, in the Domesday Book. The Anglo Saxon phrase ‘Aitone’ meaning town by the water, in this case, being close to the lowest bridging point of the River Erewash. Time past the settlement by for centuries, but during the industrial revolution and the 19th century Long Eaton awoke from its long slumbers to become a centre for quarrying, lace making and other industries, all boosted by the coming of railways and canals.
By 1870 Long Eaton had grown from a small agricultural village to a modest town with a population of about 3000. Its growth was mainly due to the development of a small machine-made lace industry during the first half of the 19th century, and the establishment of the railways in the 1850’s meant the creation of Toton goods marshalling yard at one end of the town and a large wagon manufacturer at the other.
The first of the tenement lace factories was built just off the market place by John Austin in 1856 and by the 1870’s a large influx of manufacturers, especially from Nottingham, had flooded the town. Its popularity was mainly due to a lack of union organization which meant wages were kept low, and rates were cheaper than in Nottingham.
By the early 1900’s the population of Long Eaton and neighbouring Sawley had risen to nearly 20,000 and the lace trade was at it’s height with an estimated 1500 machines in the town.
At one time Long Eaton was so unimportant that the now stately parish church of St Lawrence was merely a chapel of ease for Sawley. Then in 1868, the Victorian architect Street rebuilt the existing church using the nave as its new south aisle. The church of St John the Evangelist in College Street was designed by Charles Nicholson in the 1920’s.
Joseph Pickford of Derby, built Long Eaton Hall as a private residence. Its prominent position in the town has made it an integral part of the scene, and, for a long time it has served as the Town Hall since being purchased by Long Eaton District Council in 1921. Long Eaton also has on its boundaries one of Derbyshire’s public schools – Trent College, founded in 1868.