Here you will find a wealth of information relating to The Masonic Hall in Belper, and a little about the town and local facilities.
- Belper Masonic Hall
- A Community Venue
- Getting there
- Petrol stations
- Banking services
- Local accommodation
The Masonic Hall is located at:
The Masonic Hall,
1, Campbell Street,
Belper. DE56 1AP
Masonic use focuses on six Lodges that meet here:
- Beaureper Lodge № 787
- Arkright Lodge № 1495
- Lodge of Saint John № 8070
- Pioneer Lodge № 9065
- Bradelei Lodge № 9205
- Tudor Lodge № 9635
The Masonic Hall is not only used regularly as a meeting place for Freemasons, but also several Community Groups use the facility on a regular basis and of course it may be hired for a wide range of uses by the general public (if you wish to find out more or indeed utilise the building just click on its picture above).
There are other social events that members, partners, family and friends enjoy at the hall, for example, Bingo Evenings, Quiz Nights, occasional Horse Racing, and there are of course Open Days that are coincident with The Belper July Food Festival and The Belper Christmas Market to which anyone from the local community is welcomed. To find out more please have look the activities we get involved with: Belper Freemasons.
Being situated on the A6, Belper can be approached by road, travelling North from Derby (Derby Road) or South from Matlock (Bridge Street). Another obvious route would be along the A609 (Cheap Side), generally from the East. For information on parking please click on the picture to the left.
Campbell Street being parallel with the A6, is a Northerly running one-way street, so must be approached from Cheapside, the A609. If you have a SatNav, please enter these coordinates: 53.022899, -1.483128 for a true location.
Belper is on the Derwent Valley Line, served by local trains between Derby and Matlock. Sadly, Mainline services from Leeds, Sheffield and Chesterfield in the North and Derby in the South hurtle straight through the station at high speed, but do not stop. Full timetabling, prices and tickets can be obtained from National Rail Enquiries. The Railway Station is a few minutes walk from the Hall as it is also behind the Railway Pub, being accessed via the Field Land car park (see Parking below).
Belper is very well served by Trent Barton and High Peak.
The Sixes from Trent offer a service upto four times an hour ‘between Derby to Belper, (some services continue to Bakewell and Ripley).
The Transpeak ‘between Manchester and Derby from High Peak offers an hourly service.
Amber Taxis: 01773 836100
BTS Belper Taxis: 07977 600 600
K’s Taxis: 07866 892942
Belper Cars: 01773 828384
Derwent Cars: 01773 824824
Red Line: 01773 828828
The Hall has very restricted parking for a handful of vehicles on a drive at the side of the building. The unwritten rule is that the space should really be reserved for any caterers or those with limited mobility – and maybe the odd motorcycle or push bike.
There is also limited parking on Campbell Street itself, but is somewhat constrained to about thirty minutes prior to 18:00, then being unrestricted untill the following morning. (If for obvious reasons, you notice any change in these regulations please let us know!)
There is a large public car park about two minutes walk away via a footpath behind the Railway pub (on King Street directly opposite the end of Campbell Street). The car park entrance is found on Field Lane, just off the A6. During the day ‘normal’ fees apply, but from 18:00 a recently introduced evening charge has been instituted (currently about 60p – again let us know if this changes).
Morrisons supermarket has a fuel station located just behind McDonalds. This is very conveniently located at the roundabout where the A609 joins the A6; a few hundred yards from Campbell Street.
There are banks with cashpoint machines within yards of the hall:
- Natwest – across the road on Campbell Street itself
- HSBC – turn right out of the hall, left down King Street to the A6 junction
- RBS – turn right out of the hall, right up King Street
- Lloyds TSB – turn right out of the hall, right up King Street past RBS
The details below are only based on an internet search to save you a little time. This is not an exhaustive listing and of course, both details and ‘quality’ may vary. These are not recommended as such, or have been evaluated. If, however you feel one or more of these entries should be removed, the details edited, or you have additional suggestions please let us know.
Strutt & Firth Cottages, 53, St Johns Road, Belper, DE56 1JE 07920 484207
Camping & Caravaning
Belper is about 8½ miles North of Derby on the A6. The town is largely built on the East bank of the river Derwent with the Cromford canal running South East from Cromford following the 275-foot contour line along the east side of the valley of the to Ambergate (three miles North of the town), before taking an Easterly route to Ironville.
There have been settlers in the Belper section of the Derwent Valley for millenia, and many have left their mark on this, the only town in the East Midlands to achieve inscription on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Standing in the heart of the Derwent Valley, Belper was a small town well-known for producing Nails of a quality that were used throughout the world. Having the surname Naylor probably indicates that your family originate from the area. Indeed, the local football team, established in 1883, Belper Town FC are nicknamed “The Nailers”.
Moving to the area in 1776, Jedediah Strutt was instrumental in designating Belper as a significant catalyst of the Industrial Revolution. Having transformed the hosiery industry by inventing of the Derby Rib, which allowed a stretchable ribbed stocking to be made on a hand-worked knitting frame. It was his realisation that high quality thread was needed to make good hose which led to the cotton milling at Belper. Jedediah and his sons went on to build the first water powered cotton-spinning mills at Belper and neighbouring Milford.
In partnership with Richard Arkwright the most advanced industrial building of its time, the North Mill was built in 1804. The frame of the building being made entirely of cast iron was the forerunner of the modern skyscraper. The mill-wheel was one of the widest of its time, warm air central heating and air conditioning were installed to keep the cotton at an even temperature.
Over a period of 27 years a collection of six mills were built. At one stage, these mills were the biggest industrial complex under single ownership in the world, and the Derwent the hardest working river on the globe. To encourage families to move into Belper and work in their mills, the Strutts built the first industrial housing estate for their workers which are still evident in and around the town.
The town developed further when a mile-long stone-lined railway was cut straight through the town in 1838 by George Stephenson for the North Midland Railway. Strutt insisted that the line be deep in a cutting to prevent it from ‘offending his eye.’ The indirect benefit of this design means that even today there aren’t any level crossings to negotiate when moving about the town. The Strutt family were benefactors to Belper and Milford for two centuries, providing for the workers’ needs, and there are still many buildings to be seen in the town which were built for the people by the Strutts.
Belper was the first place in the UK to get gas lighting, with a gas works at Milford. Demand was such that in 1850, the Belper Gas and Coke Company was formed. Electricity followed in 1922 from the Derby and Nottingham Electrical Power Company’s works at Spondon. The first telephones came in 1895 from the National Telephone Company.
For many post-war years Belper had the reputation of the lowest levels of unemployment in the country. Iron founding led to the Park Foundry becoming a leader in the solid-fuel central-heating market. Adshead and Ratcliffe had developed Arbolite putty for iron-framed windows. Dalton and Company, which had been producing lubricating oils, developed ways of recovering used engine oil proving useful during the Second World War. In 1938, AB Williamson developed a substance for conditioning silk stockings but subsequently its usefulness in cleaning hands was discovered – it is still marketed by Deb Group as Swarfega.
Belper enjoys a busy town centre, having a pedestrianised shopping street, leading to the pedestrianised old market place, which is characterised by natural stone setts and gritstone paving slabs of a traditional design. When leaving Belper passing the North Mill, towards Ambergate there are the well laid out River Gardens, an attractive peaceful public place; click on the above photo to find out more.
Belper’s population is in excess of 20,000, being a popular and attractive place to live. New estates have been built up to accommodate its expansion. Belper is twinned with Pawtuchet in Rhode Island, USA, the link being Samuel Slater who was born in Belper, apprenticed to Jedediah Strutt and who became the father of the US cotton industry.
Belper, like many Peak District villages and towns stages and celebrates an annual Well Dressing in mid July. Click on this photo for more information.
Derwent Valley Discovery Days and Discovery walks are held between 25th May – and 7th June. And, of course, the famous North Mill is also is a fascinating place to visit; just scrool back up the page and click on the photo of the Mill for further information.