Chantrey Lodge № 2355
|Meeting at||Dore Masonic Hall|
|Meeting dates||3rd Fridays in January, February, March, April, May,
June, July, September, October, November & December
|Regular meeting times||6.30 pm|
|Installation meeting time|
|Warrant dated||21st March, 1890|
|Website||Click here to visit Chantrey’s site|
Chantrey Lodge derived its name from the famous sculptor, Sir Francis Chantrey, RA, FRS, who was born in 1781 in the Norton area of Sheffield, a few miles from Dore.
When Francis Chantrey’s father died in 1793, Francis was initially apprenticed to a Sheffield grocer, but a wood carver and art dealer named Ramsey gave him a seven year apprenticeship which led to an illustrious career in painting and sculpture.
The name of Chantrey was duly adopted by the newly formed Chantrey Lodge in 1890, a daughter Lodge of Royal Sussex. The instigator of this project was Major William Boden, PPJGW a Past Master of Royal Sussex Lodge meeting at Burton on Trent.
Dore Masonic Hall on Dore Road (then owned by the Sheffield Licenced Victuallers Association but was rented for masonic purposes), being conveniently close to Dore Railway Station had a further geographical advantage – it was able to attract brethren from Sheffield and North Derbyshire.